The Premier Cru Eye Cream claims to be able to target dark circles, age spots, wrinkles, puffiness and loss of elasticity. In line with the rest of the Caudalie line, the active ingredients are based around grape/vine extracts - grapevine resveratrol to rejuvenate the skin, viniferine from wine sap to brighten dark spots by regulating melanin production and antioxidant grape-seed polyphenols to help prevent future damage. It also contains moisturising ingredients including avocado butter and hyaluronic acid, and caffeine and peptides to combat puffiness and dark circles. Like other Caudalie products, it does not contain parabens or mineral oil.
It's a shame this wasn't available following my pregnancy with Miss L, because I had quite bad dark spots at the top of my cheekbones/orbital socket then due to hormones. Those have all faded now, due to diligent use of sunscreen and treatment products. I will be interested to see if this does have any effect on my dark circles; so far, the only thing that really works on those is a good concealer.
Anyway, these are my thoughts so far:
- The pump mechanism is very sensitive, enabling you to dispense only half (or less) of a pump, so there is no wastage of product.
- The cream sinks in quickly, leaving no residue on the skin's surface. The texture is pleasant to use and does not feel greasy or silicone-slippery. It works well under concealer.
- It moisturises effectively; fine lines are smoothed on application, and my eyes don't feel dry by the end of the day or when I wake up in the morning.
- It does have a scent. It's described as a delicate oak rose scent, and it smells like an Annick Goutal Rose Eye Balm I used to use. It doesn't bother me and it does dissipate quickly.
- The brightening effect from the pearlised particles is very subtle indeed. I'm quite glad about this, as the one thing I'm not so keen on with the Sarah Chapman Eye Recovery I typically use is the shimmer particles.
Caudalie Premier Cru Eye Cream is available from SpaceNK and Selfridges.
Disclosure: product was provided without charge as PR sample.