This is the recipe, for anyone interested:
350g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
175g soft brown sugar
3 tablespoons golden syrup
- Put the flour, baking powder, ginger and cinnamon in a bowl. Add the butter and rub in with fingertips until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add sugar and syrup, mix with a spoon, then add egg and mix that in with the spoon.
- Knead the mixture until it's a smooth dough. You can add a little flour if it's too loose, or a little extra butter or treacle if it's too stiff.
- Roll out to about 5mm thickness, then cut out shapes.
- Bake in oven at 170 C, gas mark 3 for 10 minutes. The biscuits will still be soft when you take them out of the oven, but they harden as they cool.
- Ice if liked.